Matches 1 to 50 of 809

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 17» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
1 "Early in the war of the Revolution her husband was summond to the service of his country. During his absence she supported her family by spinning and weaving by hand and selling the products of her toil at Portland, fourteen miles distant from her home, whither she carried them over frightful roads on horseback, returning with a fresh supply of raw material for the wheel and loom. While Mrs. Irish was a woman of the heroic type, she possessed the kindlier instincts of her sex. In a year of unusual scarcity of food (1780), although her own larder was not overstocked, she put her children on allowance, that she might relive the hunger of her neighbors' children."

The Sketches of Gen James Irish of Gorham, ME 1776-1863 by Lyndon Oak 
Phinney, Mary Gorham (I786)
2 11/21/2013 - The following information was added by a visitor, Mary Toluchanian:

"The original, handwritten vital records of Gorham, Cumberland Co., Maine (LDS Family History Library microfilm No. 0010928), page 53, record the birth date of Ebenezer Irish (son of James Irish and Mary Gorham Phinney) as "5th April 1764," rather than 1763.

Hugh D. McLellan's 1903 History of Gorham, Me., page 584, has propagated an incorrect year of birth (1763) and the wrong day of death (07 Jan 1851 instead of the 22 Jan 1851 date which you correctly show as recorded in the cemetery records).

Mr. McLellan also gives the date of Ebenezer's and Martha's marriage intentions (01 Jan 1785) as the actual date of marriage. The actual Gorham, Me., record on page 38 of the same microfilm reads: "Jany.1st.1785 / Ebenezer Irish Enter,d his name & purpofe of marriage, with Martha Morton (both of Gorham) --Attst-- Austin Alden } Town Cler" ("k" omitted at end)."  
Irish, Ebenezer (I1775)
3 5/17/2019 - Contributor: Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War added the following information:

"Enlisted 16th Maine Infantry 23 July 1862 Private company D, discharged 23 May 1863 Alexandria VA. Re-enlisted 8 Feb. 1864 32nd Maine Infantry company B, transferred 31st Maine Infantry company B. 5'11" blue eyes dark hair & complexion. Member GAR Post 3126, ept. Maine." 
Irish, Stephen (I1837)
4 A sketch of Joseph Irish appears in A History of Buckfield, Maine 1777--1900 as follows: "Joseph Irish of Gorham, a brother of John, senior, born April 12, 1728, was a soldier in the old French and Indian War and the War of Independence. He married Hannah Doane in 1753. His family had all grown up prior to his settling in Bucktown. His lot, which adjoined the Turner town line, he sold to his son, Ebenezer Irish, in 1802. There is no mention of his name on the census list of 1800. We find under the record of the offspring of Ebenezer Irish and his wife, Bathsheba, this entry: 'Mr. Joseph Irish, died April 14, 1808.' His name disappeared from the tax lists of the town in 1801." Irish, Joseph (I663)
5 According to the 22 Oct 1931 Augusta Eagle, William D. Abernathy came to the area from Jacksonville, Ill. with Joel Catlin in 1832. He was the proprietor of a general store and on 12 Mar 1834 he was appointed Postmaster.

The article notes that although he moved to Warsaw, Ill. later in life and died there during the cholera epidemic, Mr. Abernathy is buried in Augusta Cemetery.

[The surname may also be spelled Abernathy].

According to the History of Hancock County (Board of Supervisors, 1968), both Joel Catlin and William Abernathy were from Harwinton, Conn.

Married Evelina Hawley in 1833, daughter of Rufus Hawley and Betsey Richards, sister of Mrs. Joel Catlin. 
Abernethy, William Dexter (I1713)

Date of birth June 20, 1838, County Kilkenny, Ireland (not St. Louis, Missouri, as previously believed). Came to America about 1845 with widowed mother, brothers Michael Millard, Noel, and sisters Maria L., Margaret and Ellen M., via New Orleans, Louisiana, up the Mississippi River to St. Louis. (Source info: Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Fayette County, Vol. II, p. 789 under Murphy, Michael M.; Munsell Publishing Co., Chicago, 1910). In California the location of the family home originally was given as Brighton, but later this was changed to Perkins, which then had its own post office in the Perkins store. Good health all his life, some rheumatic aches, serious infection from nail in foot. In St. Louis he had his left forearm crushed by a run-away carriage. In 1858 he was shot while in his cabin near Mills, Calif. (see preceding historical notes), the bullet took off about one-half of left ring finger -- and further injured his left forearm, causing partial impairment for remainder of his life. At the time doctors wanted to amputate the arm, but a Mr. Pettit (curator of Sutter’s Fort) interceded and prevented the surgery. The robbers took from his cabin a bar of silver about the size of a bar of soap (such a bar was medium of exchange and savings). He had one in his possession at the time of his death, but it was lost when fire destroyed the home of his daughter, Corda, which was located across the road and slightly west of the old homestead.

Among souvenirs in the possession of Elmer H. Murphy is a gold medal which Patrick Henry received for the Best Agricultural Exhibit at the California State Fair of 1880. (Source of above info: Elmer H. Murphy, son).

At age 74, ht. 5’7” or 5 ’8”, wt. 145, medium build, light complexion, dark gray hair blue or gray eyes. Died March 13, 1913, 9 a.m., Perkins, Calif., diabetic coma, having suffered from diabetes for several years. Buried City Cemetery, Sacramento, Calif., Lot 83 B 117. Funeral conducted by Miller and McMullen of Sacramento (now Miller-Skelton and Herberger). Their records show an I.0.0.F. service at Murphy home, Perkins, 1 p.m. Vocalists -- Lulu and Carrie Lothhammer. Procession from home to City Cemetery, Sacramento. Funeral total cost $416, included 6 hacks @ $10 each. Basic cost $325 plus hacks, etc. (a large funeral for that time). Family assumed to have been Catholic in Ireland, but is believed only Margaret and Ellen M. continued this faith in America. 
Murphy, Patrick Henry (I456)
7 Alice A. Johnson, 84, of Silvis, died Friday, August 31, 2018, at Hope Creek Care Center in East Moline.

Funeral services will be held at 11:00 a.m., Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at Esterdahl Mortuary, 6601 38th Ave, Moline. Visitation will be an hour prior at the funeral home. Burial will be at Rock Island Memorial Park. Memorials may be made to the family. All need to use 70th Street for access to the funeral home due to the road construction.

Alice was born on June 28, 1934 in Elk Grove, CA, the daughter of Robert Truett and Lois Murphy Truett. She married William Johnson, Jr. on June 14, 1953, in Browns Valley, CA. Alice was active in cub scouts, girl scouts, PTA and a room mother for all her children. She also served as President of the social club at Warren Tower. Most of all, Alice was a loving stay at home mother.

Survivors include her children, Robert (Terry) Johnson, East Moline, Pat (Melody) Johnson, Silvis, Kathryn Church, Colona, Rose Sappington, Silvis; 10 grandchildren; 11 great grandchildren and two on the way; sister, Margaret Eklund, Webster City, IA; brothers, Pat (Val) Valdon, Sacramento, CA, Don Truett, Las Vegas, NV, James Truett, County Clare, Ireland; sister-in-law, Joan Truett, Big Lake, AK; and several nieces and nephews.

She was preceded in death by her husband, parents, children, William Jennings Johnson, and Lois Johnson, grandson, William Raymond Church, and siblings, Rose, Skippy and Richard Truett. 
Truett, Alice Anita (I590)
8 Alice I. Riley died at Alderson Convalescent Hospital Thursday, April 14 at age 93.

Mrs. Riley was born April 17, 1911 in Zamora. She was a life-long Yolo County resident. She was a homemaker.

Survivors include Mrs. Riley's daughter, Beverly Hesseltine; her grandchildren, Cindy Hesseltine, Karen Rose and her husband Steve and Cathy White and her husband Paul; eight great-grandchildren; three great-great-grandchildren; her sisters, Kate Roach, Evlynn Hobbs and her husband Hamp; her brother, John Hanneman and his wife Valancy. She was preceded in death by her husband, Percy Riley; her parents, William and Amelia Hanneman; her sisters, Wilma Palmer and Ramona Nusz and her brothers, Frank, Ernest, Arthur and William.

Services: Respecting the wishes of Mrs. Riley, no services are scheduled. Burial will be at Mary's Cemetery in Yolo. 
Hanneman, Alice (I1624)
9 Ann Shirley Albert, 80, of Devonshire Street, died peacefully on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at her home.

She was born in Queens, New York on February 27, 1936 the daughter of the late Leroy and Freda J. (Miller) Hazzard. She attended local school in New York and graduated from PS107 Queens High School in the class of 1953.

In 1968 Ann moved to Farmington Falls, Maine where she made her home for many years and was a member of the Farmington Lutheran Church.

In May of 1982 she married Leo P. Albert Sr. Together with Leo they spent many winters in Florida, they also loved to travel going to California and Hawaii. Her greatest love, however, was the time she spent surrounded by her family and friends.

Ann was predeceased by husband Leo P. Albert Sr. in 2013. She is survived by a daughter Judith Ann and her husband Stephen Baltos of Westbrook; one son Paul Michael of Waterville; a sister Lorelei and her husband Joseph Aragona of Beth Page, NY; 6 step children Leo P.Albert Jr of Portland, Sharon Mallar of Sanford, Theresa Scott of Indianna, Mary Jackson of Winthrop, Louella Madden of Florida, and John Albert of Cornish; many step grandchildren and step great grandchildren.

A Memorial Service will be held on Saturday May 14, 2016 at 10:00am at the Conroy-Tully Crawford South Portland Chapel, 1024 Broadway, South Portland. Burial will be at the Maine Veterans Cemetery in Augusta, Maine. To view Ann’s memorial page, or to share an online condolence, please visit

Those who wish may make memorial contributions in Ann’s memory to: Alzheimer’s Association, Maine Chapter, 383 US Route One, Suite 2C, Scarborough, ME 04074

Obituary by Conroy-Tully Crawford 
Hazzard, Ann Shirley (I2228)
10 Asa Irish settled on a farm in Limerick, Me., where his children were born. Later he moved to a farm on Tiger Hill in Sebago, where his parents, Obadiah and Mary (Deane) Irish spent the last years of their lives. After all his children were married, Asa and Patience spent their declining years in the home of their youngest son, Charles, on a farm at Beech Hill, in Sebago. The house is now the home of Asa’s grandson, Howard Irish, who own’s Obadiah’s family Bible. The room that Asa and Patience occupied, is now the Hillside Post Office in Sebago. Here also are the portraits of Asa and Patience and hanging on the wall is the old family record. Irish, Asa (I1853)
11 Ashes given to daughter Janice Ray Cunningham Hawkins, Janet Grace (I1737)
12 Ashes released to family Lane, Claire Gillette (I2437)
13 Ashes scattered at Kirby’s Cove, Marin County coastline Thompson, Dennis Alan (I2091)
14 Ashes scattered at sea Murphy, Flora Louise (I501)
15 Ashes scattered at sea near the Marin Headlands, Marin County, CA Berry, George Thomas Jr. (I505)
16 Ashes scattered at sea near yhe Marin Headlands, Marin County, CA Murphy, Isabel Claire (I499)
17 Ashes scattered in Ferry Hills near Healy, Alaska Truett, Richard Douglas (I593)
18 Ashes scattered near Camp Sacramento Foster, Ronald Thurman (I1606)
19 Ashes spread in the Sierra Nevada Mountains near Upper Sardine Lake Murphy, Myrtle Elizabeth (I496)
20 Ashes spread in the Sierra Nevada Mountains near Upper Sardine Lake Engs, Stanley Christian (I581)
21 At his cabin. Moore, Lloyd Clarence (I2640)
22 At the time of his death Orrin was living with his sister and brother-in-law in Genoa, Nevada. Swift, Orrin Orlando (I1495)
23 Barbara T. Steady
Laconia-----Barbara T. Steady, 70, of 37 Captain’s Walk, died at her home on Wednesday, February 22, 2006. Mrs. Steady was the widow of G. Gordon Steady who died in 2004.

Mrs. Steady was born April 12, 1935 in Quincy, MA, the daughter of Kenneth and Mary (Foley) Taylor. She was raised in Meredith and graduated from Meredith High School in 1952. In 1955, she graduated from the Laconia School of Nursing and was employed as a Registered Nurse for Alexander Eastman Hospital in Derry, NH. for several years.

Mrs. Steady lived in Londonderry for many years before moving to Laconia in 1997. She wintered in Boca Grande, Florida for several years.

Mrs. Steady enjoyed boating, fishing, winter skiing and golfing. While living in Londonderry, she was involved with volunteer work in the community.
Survivors include two daughters, Karen Klaubert of Laconia and Kathy-Jo Beaudet of Londonderry; four granddaughters and one great grandson.
There will be no calling hours.

A Graveside Service will be held in the spring at the family lot in Bayside Cemetery, Laconia, NH.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Community Health & Hospice, Inc., 780 North Main Street, Laconia, NH 03246.
Wilkinson-Beane Funeral Home & Cremation Services, 164 Pleasant Street, Laconia, NH is in charge of the arrangements. 
Taylor, Barbara (I1275)
24 Beautiful Lady

Beverly Mae Billings is my grandmother. She was and will always remain beautiful in my memories. She passed peacefully into Heaven on 5/5/12 with her family beside her after a long battle with leukemia. She fought gracefully for several years against a blood disease that had already taken her brother from her. In the duration of hospital visits, chemo, blood transfusions and medications she never lost her wonderful smile. Through all of this her family supported her and my grandfather stayed by her side through all of trips, confusion, and uncertainty of the medical issues that gradually weakened her body and mind. His strength and their faith in the Lord gave them the will to keep fighting. I will always remember her as a fighter, who never gave up. Even in the end she didn't quit she just followed the Lords angels home where she will wait for us to join her.

If I have one memory of my grandmother that will stay with me forever and make me smile it is this: I had just started going out with Jonathan and we had visited my gram on a winter night that was snowing lightly. We had called before going to see them and made sure they were all set as we were going by a store and it had become a habit to always check with gram and gramp before we drove to see them. They were all set and we proceeded to go for a visit. On the way we made a detour and travelled a longer way than usual. My gram in all her joyous glory looked at us as we came in and I quote " don't you know its too cold to go parking this time of year." and winked lightly as only she can do. I was a little shocked and slightly embarassed but managed to joke back and ask how she knew to which she replied " well its the voice of experience Beverly."  (She always called me Beverly unlike everyone else she never used my nickname.) She never lost the ability to joke around even when she was in pain or sick.

I sat with my grandmother in the days before she passed and I know in my heart that the grandmother I loved was really not there. She was a shell of what she used to be and I think she was only holding on that last little bit because she knew Grandpa would not be making this journey with her. They had been through 65 yrs of trials, joys, 15 children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and even great great grandchildren. This was going to be the hardest thing they had ever done. I held her hand while she slept and said my goodbyes to an angel that was going home. She knew in her heart what was happening and she held it in I believe. In the last stages of her life she was forgetting things and people. And even through that, when she didn't recognize people who visited or things she did through the day she remembered exactly where and when she met my grandfather. She told me she used to take a bus once a month to a roller skating rink in Oxford and that is where she met LLoyd.
Her life has inspired her family, and I have the honor of being named after her. I only hope I can live up to the reputation she has made. I am at peace with her passing. I know she is waiting for us to come home to Heaven and be with her, and when I see her she will be radiant and peaceful. I grieve for my grandfather because I know he is lost without her. I can only imagine all the things they have done in the last 80 yrs.

Always in my heart Gram, I love you. Beverly 
Fitts, Beverly May (I2971)
25 Benjamin Dexter, son of William and Sarah [Vincent] Dexter, was born in Barnstable, Feb., 1670; removed to Rochester with his father, where he died in 1732.   He married Sarah Arnold, the daughter of Rev. Samuel Arnold, who was the second minister at Rochester, and also one of the grantees of the town. Her grandfather, Rev. Samuel Arnold, was third minister of Marshfield.   Benjamin was a farmer and sold land in 1693 to Moses Barlow, in 1699 to John Hammond, in 1723 to Edward Winslow, in 1715 to John Corning. All of this land was inherited from his father.   He died in 1732, estate valued at £1047. They had eleven children, all born in Rochester. At the father's death James Dexter was made guardian of the two young children, Seth and Joanna.  


Noah* Dexter, b. in Rochester, 26 March, 1697; d. 1755

James* Dexter, b. in Rochester, 22 July, 1698; d. 1775

Benjamin* Dexter, b. in Rochester, 4 March. 1700

Sarah* Dexter, b. in Rochester, 1 July 1702

Josiah* Dexter, b. in Rochester, 12 Nov. 1704

Constant* Dexter, b. in Rochester, 27 Nov. 1706

Samuel* Dexter, b. in Rochester, 14 Dec 1708

Ephraim* Dexter, b. in Rochester, 27 May 1711; d. 4 Nov. 1774

Daniel* Dexter, b. in Rochester, 29 July 1713

Joanna' Dexter, b. in Rochester, 12 Dec 1715; m. John Barrows, 22 Nov. 1737, by Rev. T. Ruggles. 

Seth' Dexter, b. in Rochester, 3 Oct. 1718; d. 6 April 1793. 
Dexter, Benjamin (I1050)


James Monroe Douglass, who died today at his home at 81 Montgomery street, was born on the banks of far-famed Lake Sebago, Maine, Feb. 24, 1839, and as a boy he worked on a farm, receiving his education meanwhile at a country school and later going to Bridgeton Academy, graduating therefrom in 1861. He returned to his home town to teach, for awhile, but at the age of twenty-one came to Boston and for seven years was associated with the Boston Ice Company, after which he established himself in the express business, in which he continued up to the time of his death. His was the first express to run between Faneuil Hall Market and the South End, and therefore was a Pioneer in Establishing a Line between Faneuil Hall Market and the South End.

James Monroe had always been keenly interested in politics, identifying himself with the Republican Party. In 1895 he rendered some excellent work as a member of the Ward Committee. He served in the Massachusetts House of Representatives in 1897 and again in 1898 and was one of the original members of the Committee of One Hundred. He served Ward Seventeen, representing one of the most populous and prominent of the districts of the county of Suffolk, Massachusetts.

During his life in Boston he was a member of the Odd Fellows and the Royal Arcanum.
James Monroe Douglass became identified early in his life with secret societies. He was an active member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Honor and the Royal Arcanum.

In 1865 James married Sarah A Young of Sebago. He is survived by two sons, Fred S. Douglass, vice-president of the E. E. Gray Company, and Eugene H. Douglass, paymaster in the United States Navy, and there are three surviving daughters, Mrs. Frank H. Haskins, Mrs. Clinton H. Thompson and Miss Jessie Douglass.  
Douglass, James Monroe (I1941)
27 Body lost in Lake Michigan, never recovered Quiner, Henry Newcomb (I2633)
28 Born and died in Stocksberg
Married Christine Ötinger July 21, 1874 in Stocksberg
He worked as a forest warden  
Sachs, Heinrich Karl (I1501)

18th United States President, Civil War Union Lieutenant General. He was born in Point Pleasant, Ohio. His birth name was  Hiram Ulysses Simpson Grant. At seventeen, he entered the United States Military Academy at West Point. After graduation, his first assignment was service in a border war with Mexico. After eleven years he resigned his commission and persued a number of failed civilian endeavors. He answered the call for service during the Civil War, quickly rising to rank of Brigadier General. Victories at Fort Henry, Fort Doneson and Vicksburg earned him a second star. After raising the siege of Chattanooga, Grant was promoted to Lieutenant General and placed in command of all Union armies. The Army of the Potomac under General Grant finally forced Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia to withdraw from Richmond the following spring and finally surrender on April 9, 1865. The following year Congress awarded a fourth star, making him the first full General of the Armies in American history. With his popularity at an all time high, he accepted the Republican nomination for President of the United States in 1868. After serving two terms in the White House, Grant entered business on Wall Street in New York City. He lost all his money. To help support himself, he wrote magazine articles about his military life. He was ill. He displayed the first symptoms of Throat Cancer in the summer of 1884. The General always displayed an excessive use of tobacco. A cigar in his mouth was his trademark. On June 16, 1884, suffering from extreme discomfort from his cancer, it was decided to accept an offer from a wealthy friend to go to Mount McGregor, New York, a mineral springs resort and stay in a small cottage which he owned. Here he awaited death while writing a book about his life. He died here in the front room of the little cottage where he had been bedridden. An embalmer was summoned to prepare the remains. While deciding a burial place, his body was placed in a casket and left in the middle of the room where it was viewed by an estimated three hundred people over a period of weeks until a park on Riverside Drive was selected and a temporary vault was constructed. General Grants body was placed on a train and taken to New York City. On August 8th, his funeral procession stretched for seven miles through the streets of New York City to Riverside Park located on the Hudson River. President Grover Cleveland led some 60,000 marchers while a million people lined the route. Both union and Confederate generals acted as his pall bearers. Grants wife, Julia so devastated by his death was unable to attend the funeral. Contribution from around the nation raised enough money to construct the present day tomb. Finally on April 27, 1897, with Mrs. Grant present, it was dedicated after a parade witnessed by over a million people. Upon Mrs. Grants Death in 1902, she was interred beside her husband. 
Grant, Hiram Ulysses (I1295)

Allen R. Burgess, the second son of Esther (née Williams) and William B. Burgess, was born in Massachusetts, perhaps in Pittsfield, where his grandfather Joseph Burgess lived.

Allen Burgess of Boonville, Oneida County, New York, married Mary Clark of Bennington, Vermont, on 10 March 1836 in Harwinton, Litchfield County, Connecticut. (Mary had relatives in Harwinton.) Their first child, William Chandler Burgess, was born in 1838 in nearby New Britain, Hartford County, Connecticut. By 1840, the family had moved to Geauga County, Ohio, where Allen's parents and younger brothers had moved in 1833.

"In 1840, 1841 and 1842 J. M. Childs, James Logan, Allen Burgess, Orrin Ford, Van Valkenburghs, Judd, Barber, David Houghton, Washburn, the Coltons, and others, all built log houses, had logging bees, were sociable and friendly, went to meeting on foot or with ox and sled, wagon or stoneboat, worked hard, slept well, and took comfort." (Pioneer and General History of Geauga County ([n.p.]: Geauga County Historical Society, 1880), p. 119.)

Allen and Mary Burgess's four younger children were born in Geauga County. Censuses show an increasingly prosperous farming family. 
Burgess, Allen R. (I1590)

Amanda was a daughter of Elbridge Irish & Fanny Teague.

She was married on 8 Apr 1875 at Lewiston, Androscoggin County, Maine by ALmon Gage, clergyman, to Porter Gilman Marshall.

She lived in Brockton, Massachusetts when she died of Heart Disease while picking berries in Abington, Massachusetts, aged 71 years, 11 months and 24 days.

The attending physician was Gilman Osgood, M.D., of Rockland, Massachusetts.

She was buried in Buckfield Village Cemetery on 16 Jul 1913. The undertaker was L. Hilbrook & Son of Whitman, Massachusetts. 
Irish, Amanda M. (I2137)

Aymeé (Aimeé, Emeé, Edmeé) is the daughter of Pierre Miville (dit le Suisse) and Charlotte Mauger. She arrived in Quebec at the age of 14, in 1649 (her name on the immigration record is spelled Martine Aimee). Aymeé married Robert Giguere on 2 July 1652, in Notre Dame, Quebec, Quebec. They're the parents of the following (verified with PDRH):
1) Marie-Charlotte (1653-) md Laurent Philippe dit Fontaine
2) Martin (1655-) md Marie-Francoise Pinard
3) Jeanne (1657-1673)
4) Marie (1659-1710) md Jean-Baptiste Patissier dit Stamand
5) Jean-Baptiste (abt 1660-1750) md Marie-Louise Magnan dit Lesperance
6) Robert (1663-1711)
7) Pierre (1665-)
8) Marie-Anne (1668-1762) md Pierre Poulin
9) Etienne (1670-1749) md Marie-Madeleine Mercier
10) Ange (1671-)
11) Joseph (1673-1741) md Marie-Angelique Mercier
12) Marie-Agnes (1675-1760) md (a) Charles Marquis and (b) Joseph Blondeau
13) Marguerite (1678-1723) md Jean-Baptiste Lalouette dit Lebeau 
Miville, Aymée (I57)

Born in Montgomery County, Kansas. the third child of Charles and Caroline Ingalls, she was known throughout her life as Carrie. After finishing school, she became a typesetter for the De Smet News, then The Keystone Recorder and The Hill City Star. Like her father, she was afflicted with a wanderlust that led her to visit Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Missouri before settling briefly in Boulder, Colorado. Though unusual for a single woman, she then filed on a homestead claim in Top Bar, South Dakota. She met and married mine owner David N. Swanzey, a widower with two children in 1912. Her husband was one of the committee that recommended Mount Rushmore to sculptor, Gutzon Borglum, her stepson would be one of the many excavators on the project. She was an enthusiastic supporter of her sister, Laura's efforts to write her ‘Little House' series of books, and helped by sharing memories of their childhood. She died in Pennington County, South Dakota at the age of 75, and was interred in the family plot in De Smet. 
Ingalls, Caroline Celestia (I2349)

Born on February 13, 1857, near Malone, New York. Almanzo was the fifth of six children born to James and Angeline Day Wilder. The Wilder family moved from Malone to Spring Valley, Minnesota, in 1875, while Almanzo and his older brother, Royal, stayed in Malone to caretake the old farm. From there, Royal and Almanzo set out for DeSmet, South Dakota, becoming two of the first settlers of that town. In 1885, Almanzo married Laura Ingalls in DeSmet, and their daughter, Rose, was born the following year. In 1894, the little family relocated to Mansfield, Missouri, where Almanzo and Laura built the successful Rocky Ridge Farm. In 1932, Laura began writing her "Little House" books, about her pioneer childhood and youth, and one of the series, "Farmer Boy" was based on Almanzo's boyhood in Malone. Almanzo passed away at Rocky Ridge Farm on October 23, 1949, at the age of ninety-two. The former Wilder family homes in Malone, New York, and Spring Valley, Minnesota, are now museums, along with Rocky Ridge Farm. 
Wilder, Almanzo James (I2343)

Born the eldest child of Charles and Caroline Ingalls in Pepin County, Wisconsin on her father's birthday. At the age of 14 she fell ill with what was then described as brain fever. Although she recovered, the illness robbed her of her sight. In 1881, Mary enrolled in the Iowa Braille and Sight Saving School in Vinton, Iowa. Mary's academic achievements were considered exceptionally high, in addition to academic subjects she excelled in music sewing, beadwork, knitting, hammock and fly net tying. Mary graduated in June 1889, one of eight in her graduating class. After graduation she returned to De Smet where she lived with her parents. After her father's death, she made fly nets in order to supplement the family income. She was active in the church, and taught Sunday school classes. With the death of her mother in 1924, Mary moved in with her sister, Grace, before settling in with her sister Carrie, at Keystone, South Dakota. She never married. At the age of 63, she succumbed to pneumonia, and was interred in the family plot at De Smet. Her sister, Laura, would later immortalize the family in the popular ‘Little House' series of books. 
Ingalls, Mary Amelia (I2412)

Catherine was the daughter of Joseph & Anne Robbins Lyman. On 1 November 1843, she married Warren Delano.

They were the parents of 11 children-Susannah Marie (died young), Louise Church, Deborah Perry (Forbes), Anne Lyman (Hitch), Warren III (died young), Warren IV, Sarah Anne (Roosevelt), Phillip, Katherine Robbins (Robbins-Collier), Frederick Adrian, and Laura Franklin.

All but one of her children are buried with her in the Delano Family Tomb. Sarah Anne Delano Roosevelt is buried in the St James Episcopal Churchyard in Hyde Park.

Two of her children died as small children and three died in their 20's. 
Lyman, Catherine Robbins (I2326)

Daniel E. McNaughton, 70 of Cape Coral, FL died Monday July 15, 2013 at his home surrounded by his family.

He is survived by his wife Nancy McNaughton, his son Daniel J. McNaughton, and his daughter Ashley M. McNaughton. He is also survived by a daughter Kelly Magnani; and was predeceased by his daughter Karen Meara.

He was the son of the late James and Mary McNaughton of Springfield, Ma. He retired from the US Marine Corps in 1965. He was a meat cutter by trade.

Graveside services will be held at Fort Myers Memorial Gardens Cemetery, 1589 Colonial Blvd Fort Myers, FL at 10:30am on July 26, 2013. 
McNaughton, Daniel Edward (I3007)

Daniel is the son of Isaiah & Susannah Tinkham. He married Melly Atherton on 19 Feb 1815 at Pomfret, VT. (Birth certificate)

"Daniel Tinkham, third and youngest son of Isaiah, was born here in 1794, married Parmelia Atherton, raised a family of eleven children, became a prominent citizen, and died in 1873." (Gazetteer & Business Directory of Windsor County: Town of Pomfret, p. 185) 
Tinkham, Daniel (I1222)

Edith was the oldest daughter of Gayden and Bernice (Radcliffe) Davis. She graduated from Woodstock High School in 1947.

For 48 years she worked in many local restaurants, starting her career as a waitress, cashier, hostess and dining room manager. For several years, she was employed by Ken and Jim Raffel (Arby’s) as cashier and training manager, opening their stores in Auburn, Augusta, Lewiston, Portland and South Portland.

She was an avid sports fan. She was employed by Community Concepts of South Paris as a part-time bus dispatcher and had to retire because of medical reasons in 1994.

Survivors include two sons, Edward R. Deegan and wife, Jody, of Hebron and Ronald A. Deegan and wife, Alice, of Bryant Pond; a granddaughter, Michelle and her fiance, Jeremy Benson; a great-granddaughter, Hailey; a brother, Gayden George Thomas Davis and wife, Debbie, of Freeport.

She was predeceased by two sisters, Leona M. Farnum on Feb. 22, 1998 and Ethel Davis on Oct. 4, 2010. 
Davis, Edith M. (I2635)

Folk and literary figure. Born in Burr Oak, Iowa, the fifth and youngest child of Caroline and Charles Ingalls. After graduating Redfield College, she worked as a schoolteacher in Manchester, South Dakota. In 1901, she married Nathan William Dow. The couple had no children. After the death of their parents, her sister Mary briefly made a home with Grace before settling in with their sister Carrie. Although her family was immortalized in her sister Laura's ‘Little House' series of books, Grace remains little known. She was just eight years old when Laura left home to marry, and so she played a minor role only in the last books of the series. She apparently succumbed to diabetes complications at the age of 64 and was interred in the family plot in De Smet. 
Ingalls, Grace Pearl (I2408)

Folk and literary figure. Born the fifth of seven children of Henry and Charlotte Tucker Quiner in Brookfield, Wisconsin. At sixteen, she started as a teacher, but married Charles Ingalls in February of 1860 effectively ending her career. She followed her husband through numerous moves and settled in more than half a dozen homes before she extracted a promise from her husband that their next move would be their last. The family settled in Dakota Territory on Silver Lake outside what would become the town of De Smet, South Dakota. She and her husband had five children Mary, Laura, Carrie, Charles Frederick, and Grace. It was daughter Laura who immortalized her family in the popular ‘Little House' series of books. She died unexpectedly at her home after a short illness at age 84. 
Quiner, Caroline Lake (I2401)

Freeman was the fourth of nine children born to Revolutionary War veteran Isaac Dexter and his wife Keziah (Wing) Dexter. Both families had moved from Sandwich in Cape Cod to Wayne, Maine which was originally known as "New Sandwich." He married Polly Thurston 20 Nov1794 in Winthrop, Maine. 
Dexter, Freeman (I1053)

HANNAH ABBOTT; born 7 February 1793. She married Stephen Irish, son of Ebenezer & Martha (Morton) Irish of Fryeburg? She died 19 June 1881; age 87y, 11m, 19d, and is buried with Stephen at Hillcrest Cem., Stow. Stephen and Hannah had at least four children: (a) James Irish, 1820 -1901, m. Betsy D. Farrington, 2 Oct. 1853; (b) Edward L. Irish, b. abt. 1826; (c) Nancy Irish, b. abt. 1831; (d) Susan F. Irish, b. abt. 1837. 
Abbott, Hannah (I1790)

Hannah was the daughter of Stokes Potter and Rebecca (Shaw) Potter. I have found one source which claims that she had died at Barre, Orleans Co., New York. Hannah married Peleg Hart 08 April 1781 at Dartmouth, Bristol Co., Massachusetts. She and Peleg had thirteen children. 
Potter, Hannah (I2686)

He attended St Peter's Elementary School in Lewiton, ME; St Charles Seminary at Sherbrook, Quebec; the Sulpician Seminary at Montreal and Bates College in Lewiston, ME. He graduated from Bowdoin Medical School in 1921, and served his internship at the Maine Eye and Ear Infirmary in Portland, ME.

He is survived by his daughter Miss Madeleine Giguere; two brothers Lucien of Auburn, ME; Origene of Lewiston, ME.

He is predeceased by his wife Dinora who died in 1963. 
Giguere, Eustache N. (I990)

He was an early gold prospector who came to Keystone in the 1890s and staked out a placer claim along Grizzly Creek. There's still gold on his claim, where the Roosevelt Inn sits today. And some of Dave's old diggings can still be seen on the hill behind the property. .
Perhaps Dave's greatest claim to fame happened when he named a rocky outcrop Mt. Rushmore after a New York City lawyer -- Charles Rushmore. Little did he know how famous that granite peak would become.

In his later years, Dave married a reporter from the local newspaper named Carrie Ingalls who, as it turned out, became famous in her own right when her sister wrote a book called "Little House on the Prairie." 
Swanzey, David Nevin (I2381)

Henry and Charlotte Quiner

Henry Newton Quiner, born in 1807, married Charlotte Tucker, born May 25, 1809, on April 2, 1831. They had seven children: Martha (died in childhood), Joseph, Henry, Martha, Caroline, Eliza, and Thomas. Henry and Charlotte were Laura's maternal grandparents.
Henry was a farmer, but also traded with the nearby Wisconsin Indians. In the fall of 1844, he sailed off on Lake Michigan on a trading trip. A storm arose and sunk the schooner, and Charlotte Quiner was left a widow.

BIOGRAPHY: In 1849, Charlotte remarried, to a farmer named Frederick Holbrook. The couple's only child Charlotte was the Aunt Lotty of the Big Woods. When asked by Mary and Laura which color of hair she preferred, Aunt Lotty replied wisely that she liked both kinds best. Lotty later married Henry Moore and had 6 children.

BIOGRAPHY: Charlotte died in 1884 in Rome Jefferson Co Wisconsin, just before her granddaughter Laura married Almanzo Wilder many miles away. It is unlikely Laura ever saw her grandparents again after leaving the Big Woods at age 7. 
Tucker, Charlotte Wallis (I2634)

Known as "Docia," she was the aunt of Laura Ingalls Wilder (Pa's sister), and appeared in several of her books, including "Little House in the Big Woods" and "By the Shores of Silver Lake." By her first husband August Waldvogle she had two children, Lena Evelyn and August Eugene, who appeared as cousins Lena and Jean in "By the Shores of Silver Lake." With her second husband Hiriam Forbes she had seven more children: Ida, Adeline, Emma, Mary Amanda, Maude, Frances and Katie. After leaving Dakota Territory, the family moved to Nebraska, where Hiriam died in 1906. Docia then moved to Colorado to be near her son Gene, where she died in 1918. 
Ingalls, Laura Ladocia (I2344)

Literary Figure. His daughter Laura Ingalls Wilder immortalized him and the rest of her family in the popular ‘Little House' series of books. Born the fourth of eleven children in Cuba, New York, when he was 12 his family moved to Illinois, and then to Wisconsin. He married Caroline Lake Quiner in February of 1860 and with her, headed west in what would become a long string of moves which indulged his wanderlust, his dislike of large towns, and the prevailing job opportunities. The young family moved from Wisconsin, to Kansas, back to Wisconsin, to Minnesota, to Iowa, back to Minnesota, and finally to Dakota Territory in 1879 where, among other occupations, he was appointed Justice of the Peace of De Smet. The Ingalls' had five children; Mary, Laura, Carrie, Charles Frederick, and Grace. Ingalls died in his home at the age of 66 after an illness of several weeks led to heart failure. 
Ingalls, Charles Phillip (I2372)

Mercy Delano, dau. of Lieut. Jonathan Delano, Sr. & Mercy Warren, b. of record at Dartmouth, Mass. Oct. 27, 1686. She d. at Tolland, Conn. June 18, 1733, Æ 47. She was the paternal granddau. of Philippe Delanoy (q.v. Delano), a passenger of the 1621 voyage of the Fortune to Plymouth, and maternal gr.granddau. of 1620 Mayflower passenger Richard Warren.

On Jan. 13, 1712/3, as recorded at Tolland, Conn., Mercy m. as his first wife Capt. Joseph Hatch, Jr., son of Joseph Hatch & Amy Allen. He was b. at Falmouth, Mass. Aug. 3, 1689 where he d. Apr. 27, 1750, Æ 62.

Mercy and Joseph had eight children at Tolland, Conn., two who died soon after birth. The remaining six children all married with four of them remaining in Connecticut. For details of Mercy's family, see her husband's memorial.

In her father's will of December 17, 1720 at Dartmouth, Mass. she is called Mercy: "I give to my daughter Mercy Hatch the sum of twenty shillings together with what I have already given her." However, her gravestone uses the affectionate name of Marcy. 
Delano, Mercy (I1888)

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 17» Next»

Quick Links

Contact Us

Contact Us
Our Surnames
Our Stories

Webmaster Message

We make every effort to document our research. If you have something you would like to add, please contact us.